#1 Iggy Planet Admin

Iggy Planet Admin

The Last Word

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 10:34 PM

Karen Kato’s "Should I buy…?"

Should I consider getting an Italian Greyhound?

There are many other pro's and con's written about owning an Italian Greyhound, but in this post, I'd like to address another issue that should be considered prior to purchasing ANY dog.

In light of the development of the Internet and the ability of ordinary citizens to research, and find out information on where to purchase a breed of dog that they want, there is NO excuse for anyone to purchase a pet from a pet store. If you have access to the Internet, you have access as to why not to purchase from a pet shop. If you chose to ignore this information and purchase from a petshop, then you are part of the problem, not a part of the solution.

The next question you should ask yourself is if you are able to afford to purchase one, whether from a pet store or local breeder, you need to equally decide if you can afford the monthly and yearly costs of owning a dog. Monthly costs for food, medications and incidentals (treats, new equipment, etc.) can range from $75.00 to $100.00 a month, depending on where you live. These costs do NOT include vet trips, both scheduled and emergency care. These extra costs can range from $50.00 to well over $4,000.00.

Prior to purchasing, please read as much as you can on the Italian Greyhound. There are at least two Internet websites that thoroughly discuss the IG at great length, giving all the pro's and cons of the breed. http://www.italian-greyhound.net and http://www.italiangreyhound.org You should also plan to at least purchase the book, Italian Greyhound 21st Century by Lillian Barber and available through IG Productions. (see either website above for order information).

If you truly want this breed, even after researching and reading up on the breed, start saving your pennies for emergencies. You don't have to be a millionaire to own this breed, but you do have to decide if you can afford the costs. Packing a few lunches instead of eating McDonalds will go a long way to budget your pet's needs.

If you cannot afford the costs of owning an Italian Greyhound, please reconsider purchasing a pet at this time.

If you have purchased from a responsible IG breeder instead of a pet shop, many of these things will be discussed prior to you bringing a new puppy home. Along with help on housetraining and training tips. Unlike the pet shop, responsible breeders do care that their pets receive the best start in life and that includes preparing owners for responsible pet ownership.

This post is in no way meant to be mean nor insult anyone. My main concern has always been for the welfare of the breed. The costs of spaying, shots and yearly medical needs is not cheap. Owning an IG pup requires a bit of special knowledge. IG's can and do break legs. There are certain things IG owners should never do. (please see my Pet Owners Manual on my website).

If by chance you purchased a pet from a pet shop and are considering placing the dog or returning the dog, I would recommend you contact a Rescue Organization nearest you. Preferably a reliable Breed (IG) rescue Representative. Most likely the pet shop will not take a dog back, but on the off chance they do, it would be much better to place such a dog in knowledgeable hands. If you have purchased from a responsible breeder and find you can no longer care for the dog, please contact the breeder and if you do not have the number, contact rescue for help.

Thank you for caring enough to research before you purchase.

--------------------
Karen and the Izat IG's
http://www.italian-greyhound.net
ASK US ABOUT OUR COURSING BLANKETS, COLLARS AND SWEATER SNOODS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users