#1 winstonasmith

winstonasmith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Max - Rescue - 4/20/03

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:16 AM

Hello all-
I'm interested in adopting an IG. I've done my research, talked with other IG owners, and am waiting to hear back from an IG Rescue in my area (VA/DC). Not having alot of luck in that department; seems that they don't return phone calls or emails!! I'm hoping that they are busy placing!!
Any advice that you all may have on housetraining, adopting, and having an IG as a member of the family would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

#2 Zelante

Zelante

Field Trial Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,038 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Sophie 12/27/99
    Astro 6/29/02
  • Interests:Field Trials, Obedience, Agility, Rally, Disc Dog, Hiking

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:28 PM

Making connections and meeting more IG owners is a good place to start. Glad you have joined us here on the Planet. :welcomesign:

#3 phoenixinthewind24

phoenixinthewind24

Planeteer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Giovanni 9/22/01, Blackjack 3/17/03, Boz 2/9/05, Firefox 5/18/08, Merry 12/23/08, Keira 7/01/11.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:46 PM

I would recommend as much research as you can get your hands on. There are lots of great things posted here as well as on the internet. Also check out the IGCA's website. They have lots of information especially about how to care for an IG. Do your homework because they are not the breed for everyone!!!

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for...

:welcomesign:

#4 GreyhoundMama

GreyhoundMama

Coloring Outside the Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Merlin (May 9, 2002), Luna (Oct. 18, 2001), Willow (2002), Walker (2005)
  • Interests:art, nature, dragons

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:43 PM

There's a woman rescue rep in southern PA. I think she's the major MD-area rep. They sometimes have big playdates, and other gatherings. If you have the chance, attending those would be great! You'd get to meet lots of iggies, and talk with their owners about them.

I don't know how long its been, but if you haven't already, I recommend you fill out the IGCA application, and then try contacting them again. The reps are all volunteers, working their own lives, and sometimes get so busy that they can't seem to find the time to answer all their mail. I think it helps if you're already approved, so they have some idea who you are.

Not trying to make excuses ... just that I've heard several reps say they get swamped, and can't get to everyone in a timely fashion.

Good luck!!! :banana:

#5 Guest_PattyJ_*

Guest_PattyJ_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2005 - 10:59 AM

:welcomesign: to Iggyplanet!

Do contact the IGCA Rescue Rep in your area again, if you sent in an application to adopt and haven't heard back. Yes, they are all busy, but don't give up!
Iggies are so great. Congrats on wanting to adopt thru Rescue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 Guest_anbrennan_*

Guest_anbrennan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:21 AM

I rescued an IG in March of this year from the AZ rescue. I sent in an APP and they sent me an email to let me know they received it and wanted to do a house check. It did take a while but it was totally worth it. I had a chance to look up a ton of stuff on the web about the breed and keep an eye out for new IG's posted on the rescue site. Good luck, they are the coolest dogs! I think everyone would agree (well at least on this website :D )

#7 Virtu IGs

Virtu IGs

Planeteer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:56 AM

If you e-mail me I can point you in the right direction and you will get a response. I live in VA and work regularly with IG Rescue.

virtuigs@cox.net

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users