IG Search

23 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_kdga_*

Guest_kdga_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:54 PM

Hubby and I are searching for an IG addition.

Any advice on what we should expect to pay for males v. females?

What is the best way to shop, when there is SO MUCH out there to research? I have already been reading and speaking to breeders, and want to do the right thing here . . .

Advice?

#2 diavig

diavig

Flypaper For Freaks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts
  • Interests:Breeding, showing, and generally just plain ol' enjoying my IGs!

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:40 PM

Any advice on what we should expect to pay for males v. females?

If you are looking for a companion, there shouldn't be a price difference between males and females. Sometimes there is a difference if the dog is to be a show prospect, but there shouldn't be for companion animals.

The price you should expect to pay will vary depending on where you are from.

#3 curiohounds

curiohounds

You can't fix stupid!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts
  • Interests:Raising and exhibition of quality Italian Greyhounds.

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:57 PM

My best advice is to not rush in and buy the first available puppy. Get to know different breeders, and their dogs. Ask for health clearances on the parents. Get a feel as to what you're wanting, and go from there. Be prepared to go on a waiting or call list with most breeders, and definately be ready to complete and return an application.
Prices will vary a bit depending on the breeder, and what part of the country they're in. I would expect to pay about 900-1000 for a well bred puppy from a responsible breeder that does health testing on adults. Those puppies may or may not go already spayed/neutered, but generally if they're not already, there is a clause saying that they must.
Good luck and keep us posted. There are some wonderful threads here about getting an IG. Also, you can visit the IGCA website at www.italiangreyhound.org.

#4 Guest_YGGI_*

Guest_YGGI_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:53 AM

If you are looking for a companion, have you thought about a rescue?

#5 Bo-Kay IG

Bo-Kay IG

Ultimate Planeteer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,680 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Ch Lyncrest Razzle Dazzle Them 3/15/03
    Ch Lyncrest True Promise for Bo-Kay 7/8/04
    Ch Bo-Kay of Periwinkle d'Lyncrest 12/1/05
    CH Dancyn's Champagne On Ice Bo-Kay 3/16/07
    Bo-Kay Midnight Cowboy 6/1/07
    Caliente Morgan Silver Dollar 5/31/10
    Bo-Kay Million Dollar Baby 6/1/07 - 9/21/09
    Senior rescues: Princess 7/19/95 - 5/19/11, Whopper, 1/7/97 - 10/20/11, and Rudy
    Savannah (Beezer) 7/31/09
    Lyncrest Pollyanna at Bo-Kay 3/17/12

Posted 26 February 2007 - 08:52 AM

Whatever you decide, a "red flag" should be if a breeder is willing to ship a puppy. Responsible breeders do not ship puppies. It by-passes a very important part of the purchase process...the interview face to face. There are numerous other reasons, but just beware.

#6 Guest_Iggy Mom_*

Guest_Iggy Mom_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2007 - 09:10 AM

Stay away from petstores !!!
Depending where you are located, there are many young IGs in rescue, and will be more with the recent aquisition of the puppymill dogs, several of them are pregnant. Check out the puppymill threads for why NOT to buy from a petstore.
Good Luck, and good for YOU doing your homework :thumbup:

#7 corella

corella

Planeteer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Showing, breeding and judging dogs.Genealogy. Reading, crochet, gardening and inter-acting with grand-children.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 04:26 PM

If you are looking for a companion, there shouldn't be a price difference between males and females. Sometimes there is a difference if the dog is to be a show prospect, but there shouldn't be for companion animals.

There is a difference between the prices of dogs and bitches placed as pets coming from me :) As I now have all companions desexed before they leave me and, as a spay does cost more than castration, desexed females will cost more then desexed dogs. Females seem to be more desired as pets and usually outnumbered by males in litters born.
I also do not do early desexing and the girls are somewhat older than the boys before their reproductive systems are removed. It's quite amazing the number of enquiries that evaporate when the inquirer is told that the 'companion' IG will not be able to reproduce :laugh1:

I would expect to pay about 900-1000 for a well bred puppy from a responsible breeder that does health testing on adults.

Those prices surprise me :shocking: I guess it's a case of supply and demand in North America?
IGs must be fairly saleable there if commercial breeders/puppymills find the breed worth farming? And, the petshop in Hawaii imports plenty of them too......takes the low-cost surplus production from here and sells it there? And still makes a profit?

#8 curiohounds

curiohounds

You can't fix stupid!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,903 posts
  • Interests:Raising and exhibition of quality Italian Greyhounds.

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:21 PM

I would expect to pay about 900-1000 for a well bred puppy from a responsible breeder that does health testing on adults.

Those prices surprise me I guess it's a case of supply and demand in North America?
IGs must be fairly saleable there if commercial breeders/puppymills find the breed worth farming? And, the petshop in Hawaii imports plenty of them too......takes the low-cost surplus production from here and sells it there? And still makes a profit?

Surprises you how? You think it's high, or low?

Also...some reputable breeders WILL ship under certain circumstances. Usually it's after a LOT of communication, and often after they have had someone do an actual home check, and after they have checked both references, and with the local rescue groups in the person's area. It's not the preferred manner to get a puppy or dog to it's new home, but sometimes, it's unavoidable. I think the key is whether or not they will just arbitrarily ship a puppy to anyone with the purchase price.

#9 diavig

diavig

Flypaper For Freaks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,572 posts
  • Interests:Breeding, showing, and generally just plain ol' enjoying my IGs!

Posted 26 February 2007 - 07:53 PM

as a spay does cost more than castration, desexed females will cost more then desexed dogs.

In that circumstance then I agree... the purchase price should reflect the extra vet costs.

But some breeders in NA charge more for females simply because they are more saleable, with NO desexing involved prior to sale. It's a way to make extra $ for some producers of IGs.

#10 GreyhoundMama

GreyhoundMama

Coloring Outside the Lines

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,694 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Merlin (May 9, 2002), Luna (Oct. 18, 2001), Willow (2002), Walker (2005)
  • Interests:art, nature, dragons

Posted 27 February 2007 - 08:27 PM

I love my rescues. In case you decide to consider them, most rescue groups charge somewhere between $200 and $300 in the United States for a neutered vet-checked pet. I got one of mine from an all-breed rescue that only charged $60, but that's because they were a small group that only used foster homes. They didn't have any facility to maintain, just the private homes of the volunteers.

Best of luck in your search!!! :)

#11 Faeryhound

Faeryhound

Planeteer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Ari - October 30, 2005, Trance - August, 2005 and Izzy - adopted from National Mill Dog Rescue June 2012.
  • Interests:IG Rescue is my soulís work and I have a FB page dedicated to helping them find homes. Please stop by for a visit.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Faerie-Tail-IG-RescueRehabRehoming/398057453585083

Posted 28 February 2007 - 09:39 AM

My advice is to visit the websites for Italian Greyhound Club of America, Italian Greyhound Club of Canada, read through all the info on this site ( the FAQ section is a MUST ) as well as speaking to ( or e-mailing ) as many breeders as you can find, asking them for information and letting them know that you are researching the breed.

I also recommend RESCUE - there are hundreds of wonderful, loving, happy, fun, beautiful, spunky, cute, playful companions waiting to be adopted. There are links to each of the Rescue Groups available in the RESCUE section of Iggy Planet.

This is a GREYT place to start, by the way. You can meet TONS of people who love IG's more than air and you can also learn so much from everyone. I was introduced to Iggy Planet long before I brought Ari home and it only cemented by desire to add an IG to my life. He's the best little friend I ever had. He's wonderful! I have fostered two IG's for IGCC Rescue and could have easily kept them both. Both Emily and Robbie are in wonderful, loving homes and enjoying every minute of it.

I have an IG Handbook that I'd be more than happy to send you via e-mail. Just contact me if that's of interest to you.

Best of luck with your search!

#12 AlfheimIgs

AlfheimIgs

Wannabe Norwegians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Dante, Karl, Puzzle, Canaan, Seven, Edda, Miles and Leroy. The Beezer Bunch: Yggy, Dudley, Francis, Ingrid, Gretchen, Rumor aka DOOM and Norah. And one wire wiener, Zelda.
  • Interests:DOGS! (duh!), Norwegian mythology, farming, art, et al

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:01 PM

Stay away from pet stores.
Stay away from classified ads, newspapers, internet or other.
Stay away from internet breeders with a "shopping cart".
Stay away from breeders who advertise "tiny" as if it's a good thing.
Stay away from breeders who ALWAYS have puppies.
Stay away from breeders who are willing to sell you a puppy without asking anything about you.
Stay away from breeders who say, "yeah, we heath test" but have nothing on paper (or even better the OFA site) to back it up.
Stay away from breeders that don't exhibit their dogs.
Stay away from breeders that sell multiple breeds of puppies. Someone who breeds IGs and Whippets, is fine. Maybe they even have a pet Saluki and a Pekingese as well, that they have bred once. Still not bad, though you'd want to ask questions. Someone who actively breeds IGs, Whippets, Corgis, Shelties, Frenchies, Bostons Yorkies, Am Staffs, Poodles and Cockers is probably not okay.

Try rescue. They even have puppies on occasion.

If you do go to a breeder find one that:
Performs health tests. They should have their dogs registered with OFA or at least have the paperwork from the tests.
Has dogs with titles. Preferably AKC or CKC (CANADIAN Kennel Club NOT Continental, ASK!). The majority of the dogs in their breeding program should have a CH at the front of their name. If they do not ASK. There should be a very good reason for breeding an untitled dog.
Wants to know about you, your household, and any pets in your past, among other things.
Requires spay/neuter of companion animals.
Keeps their dogs the way you would like to see them kept. Are they in the house or in a kennel? Do they get human interaction and socialization throughout their life? Some breeders only show their dogs then out to the kennel they go. Others have their dogs sleep in bed, lay on the sofa, and sit in their laps while they try to type... EDDA.
Does not actively breed multiple breeds. They may breed one or two breeds. Maybe even three.
Offers support throughout the puppy's life.
Offers some sort of health guarantee.
Will take the dog back for any reason throughout its lifetime.

#13 Atlantis

Atlantis

Planeteer Extraordinaire

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Lan 07-31-96, Pudge 02-26-98, Vicky 03-02-00, Donny 01-11-03, DJ 05-09-06

Posted 28 February 2007 - 12:30 PM

AWESOME advice Steph!! Clear, concise and to the point!! :D

#14 AlfheimIgs

AlfheimIgs

Wannabe Norwegians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Dante, Karl, Puzzle, Canaan, Seven, Edda, Miles and Leroy. The Beezer Bunch: Yggy, Dudley, Francis, Ingrid, Gretchen, Rumor aka DOOM and Norah. And one wire wiener, Zelda.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 02:25 PM

One thing I forgot to mention...
While I think we do the right thing when it comes to breeding, we WILL ship puppies under some circumstances.
Example: If we get a referral from someone we know in another state. Say for example Marla (Atlantis) doesn't have puppies, or has a good puppy person looking for a blue and all she has are red puppies. She says she has a great home but doesn't have a puppy for them and sends them to us. We know and trust Marla's judgment (though we would still require an application from the buyer) and would certainly consider sending them a puppy if everything checked out.
Or say someone in another state wanted a puppy. If that person had a good application and I knew and trusted someone to do a home visit and everything checked out, I would send a puppy.
Call that good, bad or otherwise but I would do it.
Some folks wouldn't.
Also, if the local rescue rep isn't TOTALLY swamped, maybe send them a quick email and ask about a breeder. They have a pretty good idea as to who takes care of their dogs and who doesn't. You may also make a donation to the rescue for their trouble, OR you may find and fall in love with a rescue there.
Oh, and one more thing...Good breeders sell with a contract. This is both for your protection and theirs. Don't balk at a contract that has a big $$ figure for breaking it. A contract is not legal if it doesn't state what happens if the contract is broken. Good folks don't break contracts, so if the person is on the up ad up, they have nothing to worry about. Conversely, a good breeder should state what they will do should your puppy have some sort of inherited condition (PRA, luxating patellas, et al). The contract should seem fair.

#15 Guest_kdga_*

Guest_kdga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:48 PM

I want to thank you all for helping me so much.

This is all very good advice. Hubby and I are strategizing on housetraining, how we will adapt daily, and basic fundamentals. Do any of you have advice on crate/house training???

And, what does the 'CH' mean b/f the name? Why is this important?

#16 lovemydogs

lovemydogs

Crazy dog lady

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,331 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Kiwi: 9-2-98, Onyx: 8-20-99, Serena: 2-9-04, Ollie: unknown. Official gotcha day of 7-13-07.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 03:58 PM

CH means that this particular dog is a Champion. This is more interesting for people who are looking for a dog to show, as it shows them that both the sire and dam are good enough reps of the breed that they have completed all the requirements in the show ring to be a Champion.

Housetraining will be quite different if you are thinking about an older dog, or a puppy. For a puppy, read Vikki's "Housetraining 101" article. For older dogs, things may have to change a bit, but should follow the same basics.

Good luck!

#17 Guest_kdga_*

Guest_kdga_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:10 PM

Can you help me find Vikki's Housetraining 101??

Sorry . . .

#18 AlfheimIgs

AlfheimIgs

Wannabe Norwegians

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:12 PM

CH means that this particular dog is a Champion. This is more interesting for people who are looking for a dog to show, as it shows them that both the sire and dam are good enough reps of the breed that they have completed all the requirements in the show ring to be a Champion.

Housetraining will be quite different if you are thinking about an older dog, or a puppy. For a puppy, read Vikki's "Housetraining 101" article. For older dogs, things may have to change a bit, but should follow the same basics.

Good luck!

Not just for folks who show. What a CH in front of a name means is that the person breeding the dogs is concerned enough for the welfare of the breed to show their dogs before they breed them. That they have outside (several outside) parties evaluate their dogs to say yes, that is a good dog that is a good representative of the breed. Champion dogs will produce pet quality puppies, but really only the best examples should be contributing to the gene pool. Not every champion should be bred either, but that's another story...
Someone putting two non titled dogs together to make puppies should be questioned for their reason for breeding. Usually that reason is profit. Dogs should not be bred for profit.

Housetraining 101 here on the Planet is a great place to start.

#19 lovemydogs

lovemydogs

Crazy dog lady

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 14,331 posts
  • Italian Greyhounds Names: Kiwi: 9-2-98, Onyx: 8-20-99, Serena: 2-9-04, Ollie: unknown. Official gotcha day of 7-13-07.

Posted 28 February 2007 - 04:14 PM

Here is the Housetraining link:

http://www.iggyplane...hp?showtopic=37

#20 Guest_kdga_*

Guest_kdga_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2007 - 04:16 PM

Thank you all for your help and wealth of information. Do any of you brush your iggies teeth every day? How important is this?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users